December 01, 2009

Rescued Seal Pups

I visited the RSPCA Centre in East Winch, Norfolk, where there has been an influx of seal pups separated from their parents in the Northumbria floods. Expecting to take a cute picture of a group of baby seals together, I showed up and was changed into a white protective suit and boots- to protect myself from the seals biting me, and to protect my clothes from the intense smell of fish in the air.

Hopes of a picture showing numerous distressed but lovable young seals were quickly dashed, as the seals were in solitary confinement- and they also didn't look so young to me. I spent about half an hour taking pictures, trying to avoid being bitten, and attempting to ignore the smell. Pictures were published in The Daily Mail, The Metro and The Times.


Thanks to the lady from the RSPCA for this one.

A pup named 'Glaven Vet', roughly 5 weeks old, and (below) being fed.




No comments:

Post a Comment